full screen background image

Salford City in seventh heaven with Barwell thrashing

Salford City started 2016 with a bang as they hammered Barwell 7-0 at Moor Lane on Saturday.

The result lifts The Ammies to joint second in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier, equal on points with Nantwich Town.

Seven of the best from the home side has also considerably narrowed the goal-difference gap.

The Ammies looked to be full of confidence from the kick off, with their wingers pushing incredibly high up to put pressure on Barwell’s makeshift defence.

FA Cup hero James Poole would have the first chance of the game on the ninth minute, with a curling effort from the right side of the penalty box which was well stopped by Liam Castle.

The Leicestershire outfit’s defense would finally crack on minute 14 when Danny Webber exquisitely curled his free-kick around the wall to give Salford the lead.

The floodgates were open after the first goal: James Poole netted the second after surging forward into the box, hammering a powerful strike past Castle to beat the Barwell keeper at his far post.

Salford City extended their lead to three on the half-hour mark.

Scott Burton fired a Paul Scholes-esque thunderbolt into the Barwell net after the ball was presented to him on a plate by Steve Howson’s blocked shot.

Despite conceding three before half time, Barwell’s forwards still believed they could get back into the game, and were almost rewarded when Anthony Carney fired in two efforts from a corner kick, but both were magnificently saved by Jay Lynch.

Any belief that the visitors may have had was choked out of them by The Ammies in the second half.

Jordan Hulme continued to mastermind Salford’s chances with great aplomb, drifting into the box on minute 56, before squaring it to Poole who powered the ball in for his second. The former Macclesfield player would also complete his hat-trick
with a goal in the 87th minute.

Jordan Hume and substitute Joe Mwasile would also score to secure Salford’s biggest home win in their history.

The Canaries defense didn’t look confident from the kick-off with Salford having the lion’s share of the chances throughout the game.

On balance Richard Lavery was playing out of his native central midfield due to injuries, but perhaps a back three with Slavery in his natural position would have stifled Salford’s front two.

Gareth Seddon may not have got on the scoresheet today but the 35-year-old he proved wrong those who believed his career at The Ammies was finished.

The striker’s return saw him create an abundance of chances, however just couldn’t find the net before being subbed for Luke Clarke near the hour mark.

The only disappointment for Salford today will be the injury concern for former Premier League striker Danny Webber. The forward pulled up on the 21st minute in the middle of a Salford attack and looked to be holding his calf as he was substituted for Joe Mwasile.

Salford City (4-2-4): J Lynch, Gumbs, O’Hallron, Stopforth, Howson, C Lynch (c), Hulme, Burton, Webber (Mwasie ‘23), Seddon (Clarke ‘58), Poole.

Subs not used: Dawson, Moses, Dootson,

Barwell (4-4-2): Castle, Lower, Cooper, Lavery (c), Ballinger, Julien, Nisevic (Woodward ‘45), Hickey, Barlone (Daniels ‘67), Story (Tomkinson ‘45), Carney.

Subs not used: Hayes, Powell.

Bookings: Barlone ‘61

Referee: Gary Hilton (Lancashire)

Main image: Charlotte Tattersall

Facebook Comments

Oliver is an aspiring young journalist currently studying at Salford University. He covers non league football and local politics for multiple outlets.