full screen background image

Big Fellas step all over Swinton

Featherstone Rovers hammered Swinton 58 points to 12 at the Big Fellas Stadium despite a tight first half that saw some extraordinary defending from the Lions.

Rovers took the lead on five minutes when Jordan Baldwinson scored under the posts after a good pass from Kyle Briggs and the try provider added the simple conversion.

The Lions hit back six minutes later when Jake Shorrocks sent out a nice short pass for Nick Gregson to crash over on the right with Chris Atkin adding the conversion.

Four minutes later Rovers were in again when Baldwinson scored his second try by the posts again and again Briggs converted.

Just after the 20 minute mark Shaun Robinson and Bradley Tagg were sent to the sin bin for fighting.

From the penalty the Lions moved swiftly up field and Macauley Hallett sent out a nice pass for Liam Marshall to score in the left corner.

Atkin added a super conversion from the touchline to level the scores.

Rovers then took a fortunate lead just before the break when Anthony Nicholson was injured in a three man tackle on his own ten metre line and lost the ball as he went down in agony and he had to be helped from the field with a leg injury. From the scrum Rovers moved the ball swiftly to the left and Danny Craven scored near the corner but the conversion was off target.

Rovers came out for the second half like they meant business and they went further ahead five minutes in when Anthony Thackeray sent out a lovely pass for John Davies to score on the right, Briggs converting again.

Three more tries fell in just 11 minutes with Jamie Cording, Briggs and Craven all going over and Briggs managed to convert them all as the game ran away from Swinton.

The Lions were placed on a team warning by referee Tom Grant and three minutes after that Matty Beharrell was sent to the sin bin for holding down in the tackle and the home side were getting the better of the fifty fifty decisions that cropped up during the game.

Rovers finally ran away with the game running in three further tries in final five minutes with Kyron Johnson, Tagg and Hardman all going over and Craven converted all three to complete the victory.

Main image: Featherstone Rovers

Facebook Comments