Firefighters from Eccles and Agecroft spent three hours dousing the flames at a cannabis farm at a house in Salford.
Crews were called to Vicarage Close, near Salford Royal hospital, at 7.15pm on Tuesday evening.
Greater Manchester Fire tweeted how they’d rescued a dog from the property and were working to stop the damage spreading to nearby homes.
@neilwright68 thanks Neil, we have rescued a dog from the house affected and just trying to minimise the damage next door
— Manchester Fire (@manchesterfire) September 6, 2016
Pictures from the scene show a huge hole in the semi-detached house on Vicarage Close where the roof collapsed under the heat of the blaze.
The fire was well alight by the time crews arrived.
Video posted on Twitter by @Jim_Henn shows thick smoke billowing from the roof space.
— Jim Henn (@jim_henn) September 6, 2016
Greater Manchester Police confirmed they were called to the scene when fire crews discovered burned up cannabis plants in the loft and suspected an electrical fault had sparked the fire.
Officers discovered a well-developed cannabis farm stretching across the roof space of the property.
Firefighters in full breathing apparatus used thermal image cameras to make sure the scene was safe.
A 43-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of cannabis production but has now been bailed pending further enquiries.