full screen background image

Beechy win seals First Division title

Needing three points to guarantee their third successive Manchester Saturday Morning Football League First Division title Beechy got their hands on the silverware again thanks to a 3-0 victory.
United’s first half performance against Alkrington Dynamos was less than impressive but they made a promising start despite the visitors enjoying more of the ball in the opening ten minutes.

There was a hectic pace to the contest and twice in quick succession the Dynamos almost grabbed the lead but their best efforts of the half drifted wide of the target.

Beechy knew they faced a tough ninety minutes and keeper Mike Heyworth was in action when he made a terrific save in the 23rd minute and showing excellent movement off the ball Alkrington Dynamos forced some serious defending from United’s back four of Andy Lord, Dave Harrison, Chris McCartney and Gareth Burns.

Against the run of play Beechy took the lead after 35 minutes when at the end of a swift counter attack, Wes Pierce was clearly fouled in the area and Phil Heyworth easily beat the keeper from the penalty spot.

Man of the Match Dave Harrison produced two vital headed clearances prior to United’s second goal on 65 minutes when Wes Pierce provided the killer pass that sent Max Leonard racing clear and if his first touch on the ball was exquisite his finish was even better as he hammered the ball into the net off the inside of the post.

A quick counter-attack by Alkrington Dynamos caught United’s defenders napping and a low drive by the visitors No 9 hit the post and after the ball rebounded back into play it was cleared to safety.

In the last 20 minutes Beechy played with more freedom and hardly wasting possession got the goal that secured the championship when a slick move involving Tim McQueeney and Wes Pierce set up the opportunity for Roy Owen whose brilliant finish in the 74th minute made it 3-0.

Mike Heyworth kept a clean sheet thanks to some first-class goalkeeping towards the end.

After the final whistle, all the players and team officials celebrated on the pitch.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply