full screen background image

Beechfield United victorious over Irlam Steel

Match report by Keith Long

Beechfield United were at home for their third FBT Manchester Football League Division 1 fixture and a stylish first half display eventually secured a 3-0 victory over Irlam Steel.

The visitors to Salford Sports Village looked well organised in the early stages and hardly wasting possession could have opened the scoring after creating a couple of clear cut chances.

Gradually Beechy played with more fluency and took the lead in the 12th minute via a move down the right flank involving Man of the Match Mike Rogerson and Steve Erskine, producing a great piece of individual skill was Jamie Sinnott who nonchalantly fired the ball home from the narrowest of angles.

Briefly Irlam Steel enjoyed more of the ball and United were indebted to keeper Robert Harrison who made two fantastic one handed saves.

After 23 minutes Beechy led 2-0 when Chris Ferris worked hard to regain possession and his accurate pass found Dave Leach who superbly set-up Craig Massey who produced an accurate close range finish. Then seven minutes later following a corner United added their third goal courtesy of more fancy footwork and another audacious finish from the talented Jamie Sinnott.

United remained in control for the remainder of the half and were obviously delighted with their first forty five minutes performance.

The second half was a bit of an anti-climax and though Beechy didn’t produce the sparkling soccer seen in the first half they still dominated possession and should have added more goals. Alex Hunter who had a very good game almost beat the keeper via a long range effort then Jamie Sinnott looking for a hat-trick suffered the same fate.

Far too many stoppages threatened to ruin the contest and both teams made substitutions before the hour mark. A mazy run down the left flank by Andrzej Browne was the highlight of the second half and following his measured cross, a half volley by Dave Leach flew inches wide of the target. Minutes later Irlam Steel won a free kick and after the ball was curled into the area the visitors No 8 saw his header hit the post.

United’s back four were happy to soak up the pressure when Irlam Steel created a few promising counter-attacks though the visitors rarely looked like getting a consolation goal.

A brilliant four man move involving Sinnott, Leach, Hunter and Massey ended when the latter forced an acrobatic save from the Irlam keeper. Late in the game Alex Hunter almost made it 4-0 but the ball rebounded back into play off the crossbar.

Facebook Comments

Editor at large, SalfordOnline.com