full screen background image

Salford City Roosters 28 Milford Marlins 10

By Ken Roberts

Roosters earned their second victory of the season against Leeds outfit Milford Marlins, but they made really hard work of it in a error littered first half, only to come to life and run out comfortable winners after half time words of wisdom from coach’s Paul Viller and Graham Holroyd.

The game was less than a minute old when Roosters gifted the visitors the opening try. Roosters spilled the ball on the half way line and Steven Bacon hacked the ball towards the Roosters try line and followed up to score wide out, too far out for Ryan Oxtoby to convert (0-4). That proved to be the only serious action of a frustrating first half as Roosters solid defence ensured that Milford never looked like scoring again, although their own attack was woeful, choosing wrong options and making mistakes time and again.

It was a much more determined Roosters side that came out for the second half though and they took the lead on 50 minutes. Richard Openshaw was held up between the sticks and from the play the ball Bradley White sent Tom Pratt over wide out.

Joe Marchant added an excellent conversion (6-4) and was only inches wide from the same position when Roosters extended the lead on 57 minutes. Pratt was again the try scorer after Christian Higgins had made a good break down the wing (10-4).

Two Marchant converted tries in 6 minutes ensured that the points would be going to the Roosters with the first coming on 63 minutes after Openshaw’s low kick between the sticks was fumbled and Will Rigby pounced to touch down (16-4). Openshaw was also provider of the next try that saw Joe Connor crash through the defence for a trade mark try (22-4).

Three minutes from time Milford knocked on in midfield and Joe Connor hoofed the ball up field before following up to claim his second touchdown. Again Marchant converted (28-4), but the final say went to the visitors when Eddie Wilson spun out of a tackle to score and as James Coates added the extras the referee blew for full time (28-10).

Facebook Comments

Editor at large, SalfordOnline.com

Leave a Reply