full screen background image

Hero Hulme sends Salford City into promotion dreamland

Salford City will compete in the National League North for the first time in their history after beating Workington 3-2.

The momentous victory means the Class of ’92 era Salford win back-to-back promotions to propel them to new heights.

Jordan Hulme was the hero with an 84th minute winner after Workington drew first blood.

After just six minutes a trademark corner from Singleton was met with the head of Kyle May and powered into the net.

There were stern faces around the Salford box as the Ammies defence assumed Jay Lynch would claim it.

Two minutes later Salford had their first major chance of the game, when a cross come shot from Danny Webber tested Alex Mitchell but was just over the bar.

Salford drew level in the 12th minute through a headed Steve O’Halloran effort placed perfectly in the bottom corner.

Eight minutes later Workington were in the lead again, after a placed ball from their 7 snuck through to their 10 who struck the ball into the open goal.

Salford had another good opportunity close to the half hour mark, after a superb run by John Johnston the winger looked in prime position to cross, but his pass was mistimed and floated over everyone’s head, it would eventually fall to Poole.

The best chance of the game for Salford came moments later when a cross from deep found Scott Burton who forced a world class save from The Reds keeper who reached deep to stop The Ammies equalising.

Carnage took place on the 40th minute after a superb piece of dribbling by Scott Allison the striker was brutally brought down by Billy Priestley.

Both benches cleared in baseball fashion as handbags were deployed by both teams.

Priestley would rightfully go in the book for what was an awful two footed challenge from behind.

The Ammies returned to the pitch keen on getting level and almost did in the 51st minuite when James Poole made a superb turning shot that narrowly went wide.

As the game passed the hour mark Salford turned a free kick in their own half jerk a clear cut chance, Steve Howson struck the ball long into The Reds box, reaching Poole who headed it on to Danny Webber whose diving effort went straight over the bar.

The hosts continued to pile on the pressure and were duly rewarded 10 minutes from time with an equaliser.

A swinging corner by Poole found the head of Pristley who managed to curl the ball past the Workington goalkeeper.

The visitors almost struck level moments later after a wide feee kick turned into a goalmouth scramble, shots were fired towards Lynch from all comers, however the keeper stood firm allowing for Salford to clear the ball.

With extra time beckoning, a hero was needed if the game was going to end in regulation time.

It came the form of Jordan Hulme who managed to pick up a rebound from a seemingly impossible angle and strike the ball into the goal.

Scenes of bedlam ensued.

A passionate fanbase whipped up by instant success – who knows how far Salford could go?

Main image: Salford City FC/Youtube

Facebook Comments

Oliver is an aspiring young journalist currently studying at Salford University. He covers non league football and local politics for multiple outlets.