full screen background image

Goals galore in Mill Farm stunner as Salford City share spoils with AFC Fylde

Salford City and AFC Fylde shared honours after drawing 3-3 in a classic encounter at Mill Farm on Tuesday evening.

For 1,842 fans watching – a Fylde club record – it was goals galore and they were scores in spectacular fashion, with Danny Rowe and Mike Phenix staking their claims for goal of the month with spectacular finishes.

The result means Salford move up to third whilst the Coasters go top, however both teams retain their unbeaten start to the season.

The hosts started the game in a fashion expected of the highest scoring team so far this season, and took the lead on ten minutes.

Andy Bond and Bohan Dixon connected perfectly outside the box, before putting through Sam Finley who powered his shot into the top corner and end Jay Lynch’s unbeaten streak.

Salford had a chance to equalise soon after as Jordan Hulme was fouled near the box when Matt Warburton launched a solid attempt at goal, but was superbly denied by Tony Thompson.

The Ammies did equalise though through Jordan Hulme, after a superb move by James Poole to leave Sam Finley tackling thin air, one inside forward combined with the other and leveled the scoring near the half hour mark.

Like two boxers in the ring, both teams looked to assert their dominance on the game.

First Danny Row had a free header from a deep cross that was well saved by Lynch.

Then with the very next move Mike Phenix found himself in space and one on one with Thompson, but the keeper did superbly to get down and save the shot from Salford’s top scorer.

Five minutes from time though Fylde had a penalty appeal waved down after James Hardy who made a superb break was brought down by Lynch.

When referee Simeon Lucas waved away the protests Mill Farm almost started a riot, and whilst there was appeals from the away support of a dive by the midfielder, those kind of challenges have resulted in a referee pointing to the spot before.

The second half started in quiet fashion until the 58th minute when a corner was delivered deep to Michael Nottingham.

His charge forward distracted the Fylde keeper who was overpowered by the fullback to make the game 1-2 to Salford.

It looked like it was going to take something special to beat Lynch again today, but Rowe provided a moment of magic to equalise.

The forward picked up the ball around 30 yards out, turned to beat a Salford defender, before hitting a strike simply perfect in every single way.

Credit to Jay Lynch, he tried superbly to pull off the save of the season but not even a world class goalkeeper could have stopped him scoring his seventh and best goal so far this season.

The goal changed the complexion of the game, as now Fylde had the initiative to surge forward.

It was Rowe again who almost gave Fylde the lead, the hosts were awarded a free kick after a cynical challenge by Simon Grand.

The forward’s attempt of goal was equally spectacular, however clattered off the inside of the post, Fylde tried to get a rebound but were too late to the punch as the ball went out of play.

Mike Phenix addedd Salford’s third, after shaking off a challenge he drifted past the Fylde defender before curling a spectacular effort to secure his fourth goal in as many games on the edge of injury time.

The Ammies looked to have the game sown up and go top of the table, but a header from Steve Williams from a set piece cost Salford the win and sent the Mill Farm fans who had experienced every emotion known to man into raptures.

Fans and footballers alike praised the quality of the game on show on Twitter after the match.

Salford City (4-3-3): Lynch, Nottingham, O’Halloran, Burton, Grand ©, Priestley, Warburton (Johnston ‘45), Walker, Phenix (Clark ‘90), Poole (King ‘74) Hulme.

Subs not used: Barnes, Worley.

Booked: Grand ‘76

AFC Fylde (4-3-3): Thompson, Holmes, Kennedy, Langly ©, Williams, Bond, Hardy (Baker ‘90+1), Finley, Rowe (Blinkhorn ‘90+0), Dixon (M Hughes ‘64), C Hughes

Subs not used: Wilczynski, Collins.

Booked: Dixon ‘36

Attendance: 1,842 (club record)

Main image: Steve McLellan Photography/@SteveAFCFylde

Facebook Comments

Oliver is an aspiring young journalist currently studying at Salford University. He covers non league football and local politics for multiple outlets.