full screen background image

Watch: ‘Relentless’ Salford City smash Alfreton to go top

Salford City soared to the top of the National League North with a clinical performance to thrash Alfreton Town 4-1 at Moor Lane on Saturday.

Top scorer Mike Phenix, captain Simon Grand, Jordan Hulme and Matt Warburton were the scorers before Sam Smith scored a consolation goal for the visitors.

The result puts The Ammies at the top of the Vanarama National League North, as AFC Fylde failed to beat Gloucester City.

The game was played in terrible conditions as torrential rain poured from the heavens throughout.

But Salford opened the scoring in the opening quarter hour, as once again Mike Phenix was Johnny-on-the-spot.

After receiving a low cross from Matt Warburton, the in-form forward coolly placed a shot to the far post that easily beat Fabian Spiess for his seventh goal of the season.

Moor Lane was bouncing to the tune of ‘Woah, Phenix’s on fire, your defence is terrified’ from the Salford home faithful.

The conditions were starting to affect the quality of play as the half developed, with Moor Lane’s brand new pitch starting to suffer from the endless rain and standing water.

Phenix intercepted a bad ball by the Alfreton full back to have a clear run on goal for his second, however Spiess did excellently to save.

The goalie couldn’t stop the rebound however as Jordan Hulme casually ghosted the ball into the near corner.

Watch all the goals here

While the Alfreton fans did a rain dance in the hope the game would be abandoned, Salford pushed on to bag their third in 25 minutes.

Captain Simon Grand scored his second of the season, after seeing a headed effort come clattering off the bar the captain converted his own rebound with a powerful finish.

Half an hour in and it was already game over.

Salford did have a chance to net a fourth near half time as Matt Warburton fired a powerful curling effort that clattered the bar.

The Ammies continued their relentless attacking into the second half, as five minuites from the hour mark Warburton fired off a wicked shot that was just deflected wide.

Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley then brought on debutante Richie Wellens, who proved an instant hit by delivering the ball to Nottingham who then pulled it back to Warburton, allowing the inside forward to score Salford’s fourth.

A more familiar Richie to the Salford faithful came on along with James Poole who both replaced goalscorer Warburton and Jordan Hulme, both of whom revived standing ovations.

Alfreton did get a goal back with just over 15 minutes left, after Craig Westcarr found space on the halfway line before floating a cross into Sam Smith who slotted home the finish with consummate ease; it was little more than a consolation goal however.

The games continue to come thick and fast for Salford as they welcome FC Halifax Town on Tuesday.

Salford City (4-3-3): Lynch, Nottingham, Burton (Wellens ‘65), Grand ©, B Priestly, King, Walker, Phenix, Warburton (Poole ‘69), Hulme (Allen ‘69)

Subs not used: Worley, Johnston, Poole, Allen

Booked: Lynch ‘87

Alfreton Town (4-4-1-1): Spiess, Allen, Kennedy (Clayton ‘39), Heaton, McGowen, Jordan, Wilson, Monkhouse, Smith (Garnett ‘85), Bradley (capt), Westcarr

Subs not used: A Priestly, Garnett

Referee: Paul Newhouse (Durham)

Main image: @fluffly8/Alison Tattersall

Facebook Comments

Oliver is an aspiring young journalist currently studying at Salford University. He covers non league football and local politics for multiple outlets.