full screen background image

Kidderminster Harriers 1-0 Salford City

Salfords unbeaten run ended in humbling style as they struggled to a 1-0 defeat to Kidderminster Harriers earlier today.

The result means The Ammies have lost ground to AFC Fylde, who beat FC United of Manchester, but stay in front of Harrogate who were defeated today.

Meanwhile, Kiddy are back in the play off positions just one point of Salford.

A super set piece by James MxQuilkin was all the difference between the sides as Salford return up the M6 empty handed.

Kidderminster opened the scoring within ten minutes through a clever set piece, after Sam Williams brought Tyrone Williams down 20 yards away from goal.

The Harries then used a double lay-off to James McQuilkin, with the two players around the ball for Kiddy acting as a wall to block Jay Lynch’s view of the shot, making the ball impossible for the goalkeeper to stop.

John Eustace’s men continued to pile on the pressure, as a poor Ammies corner lead to a rapid counter attack from Elton Ngwatala toran the length of the pitch and both Salford centre backs, however couldn’t place his finish on target; much to his dismay.

Kiddy’s first corner of the game lead to a goalmouth scramble that The Ammies were lucky not to concede a second, the ball ping-ponged between both sets of players before Lynch bravely went to catch the ball before Mani Dieseruvwe could fire a wicked shot.

The striker came out the worse out the two, and had to go off the treatment and to replace his blood stained kit.

It didn’t deter Kiddy though who continued to turn on the style, a corner was whipped in by McQuilken, before being flicked on to Williams who with a marvellous bit of skill tried a backheel shot over his head, however for all the flair it also went over the goal.

Things went from bad to worse for Salford in the second half, as captain Simon Grand was given a straight red card for a dangerous two footed lunge on Dieseruvwe from behind.

Controversy continued to surround the game, as Dieseruvwe was booked for Kidderminster after repeatedly encroaching on Jay Lynch’s area whilst he was attempting a goal kick; as The Hosts continued to frustrate Salford.

Kidderminster then had another chance on the hour mark, as once again they broke like lightning from an Ammies set-piece; Dieseruvwe leading the charge.

The forward then gave the ball to James McQuilkin who continued down the left wing and had bodies in the box for a cross, but Richard Wellens did superbly well to track back and make a last gasp tackle.

Dieseruvwe continued to be a menace however, as the poacher picked up the ball outside the Salford box before turning past Priestley and hitting a low curling shot that Lynch did very well to get down and save.

Salford then had their best attempt to get an equaliser denied, after James Poole fought his way past three markers, before delivering a superb slide rule to Matthew Warburton who looked free on goal, if it wasn’t for a superb challenge by Kiddy captain Keith Lowe.

Salford will have to put today’s result behind them end put their run of two games without a win to an end as they travel to Chorley on Tuesday night.

Salford City (4-3-3) : Lynch, Nottingham , O’Halloran, Burton (Warburton ‘66), Grand ©, Priestley, King (Allen ‘57), Walker, Phenix (Poole ‘57), Wellens, Hulme

Subs Not Used: Worley, Johnston,

Sent Off: Grand ‘46 (Serious Foul Play)

Kidderminster Harriers (4-2-3-1): Hornby, Williams, Francis Angol, Croasdale, Lowe ©, Tunnicliffe, Waite, McQuilkin, Dieseruvwe (Brown ‘87), Ngwatala (Parker ‘86), Gnahoua (Austin ‘79)

Subs not used: Truslove, Carter, Brown, Thomas

Booked: Diseruvwe ‘51

Referee Darren Strain (Runcorn)

Attendance: 2072 (87 away)

Venue: Aggborough Stadium

Facebook Comments

Oliver is an aspiring young journalist currently studying at Salford University. He covers non league football and local politics for multiple outlets.