The sinkhole-hit Mancunian Way in Manchester city centre is to remain closed throughout Monday’s rush hour as emergency repairs continue.
The carriageway fell in on itself under heavy rain on Friday 14 August to reveal a 40ft deep hole, which also cuts across the pavement.
A culvert flooded as 20mm of rain fell in under three hours, part of torrential storms that morning.
The road has been closed in both directions all weekend between the MacDonald Hotel and Fairfield Street.
Traffic is being diverted via London Road, Fairfield Street, A665, Hyde Road and Downing Street.
Manchester council is warning the public not to walk near the sinkhole, which is fenced off from the road.
Traffic in Manchester city centre is suffering with the major route closure.
United Utilities are still investigating the extent of the road break, and pipelines from other utilities are thought to be stressed by the fall.
It’s understood the road will be closed until at least later this week with delays expected.
Update: A Manchester City Council spokesperson said this morning that initial repairs could take up to 10 days, until roadworkers are satisfied that the area is safe.
In a statement the council said: “United Utilities have been working at the site over the weekend, working closely with the city council, to assess the collapse.
“A repair plan is now in place to stabilise the hole and make the cavity watertight to allow engineers to restore the damage.
“This initial phase of work could take up to 10 days, but until we are completely satisfied that the area is safe, the section of The Mancunian Way will remain closed in both directions.
“The diversions put in place last week will remain and signing will be re-inforced, including the use of variable message signs, but motorists using the route are asked to allow more time for their journey, which may take longer than normal.”
Main image by Ray Hammond via Vimeo